- The historical background of present-day British society.
- Britain"s past Empire and present international connections.
- The development of post-war Britain from consensus to Thatcherism and "New Labour".
- The social structure of Britain today in relation to class, race and gender.
- The divided Kingdom: Northern Irish, Scottish, Welsh and regional questions.
- British politics and political institutions.
- The role of multiculturalism and multinationalism.
- The state of welfare, education and the media.
Contemporary British Society is the essential handbook for the reader who is interested in British Studies - language, literature, and culture. This fourth edition provides up to date information, analysis and Anglo-Scandinavian comparisons.